Self leadership is a critical component for all leaders. True leadership greatness in the Kingdom of God is a journey towards humility. This requires some key disciplines to know how we are doing on the journey and where we can make progress. Reggie McNeal suggests three categories under the realm of self leadership: self-awareness, self-management, and self-development.
Under the topic of self awareness I recently ran across some great evaluative questions that we can ask ourselves on a regular basis. These come by way of Harry Kraemer, a faculty member at the Kellogg School of Management. My desire is to put these to use on a regular basis.
- What did I say I was going to do today, and what did I actually do?
- If what I did was different than what I planned, what were the reasons?
- What went well, and what did not?
- How did I treat people?
- Am I proud of the way I lived this day?
- If I had the day to live over again, what would I do differently?
- What did I learn today that will have an impact on how I live the next day, the next week, and going forward?